The sense of individualism is among the significant qualities of women. Whatever image they choose to present, there are still secret passions they keep within which they want to embark on or continue doing either alone or with a group.
Interests may be in sports, the arts, the home or anywhere else. As long as they have the fervor for a particular activity, this goes on and on. Alone time hobbies are quite huge; the women of today have lots of it and the need to try different things can come up any minute.
Hobbies for women can be both expensive and cheap. They don’t really care as long as they can find time to do it. These hobbies are activities that help shape individuals’ personalities, energize lifestyle, act as inspiration, and connect them with like-minded people.
Being over 50 can be awkward for some but to those who are creative enough, age is just a number. Having something to do during weekends or holidays helps individuals forget loneliness, heartaches, and miseries. Or have you forgotten that you can take away your thoughts from problems if you’re doing something you like to do?
Hobbies bring out the best in you. It gives life a different meaning. Let’s explore briefly some pastimes women over 50 years of age love to do.
Best Hobbies For Women Aged 50 & Above
- Shopping/ Window shopping – Having a substantial paycheck makes women go to malls or online to check new beauty, health, accessories and clothing trends.
- Going to flea markets and garage sales – These are places that cheapskates go to satisfy their love for used items.
- Stand up paddling – Summers near the water can be fun when with friends.
- Swimming – Though some don’t include this on their list, swimming is a good activity even for older women.
- Jazzercize – Ladies want to look sexy and trim.
- Tai Chi – This teaches them discipline, the Chinese way.
- Aqua aerobics – This can be enjoyable and a good way to keep the body trim.
- Yoga – This activity relaxes not only the body but also the mind.
- Golf – Golf helps in developing focus and motivation.
- Joining charity shows and volunteer groups – People who love to meet and help others do this regularly.
- Community radio – Joining a community radio can be a start of getting involved in several local organizations.
- Classic car club and classic cars – Women who love vintage cars can join clubs or forums that connect them with people with the same interests.
- Amateur drama – Not everybody can join in a club like this unless there is a background in acting.
- Singing in the choir – Sundays can be fun with a choir and during practices.
- Dancing/Line, Latin, square dancing – This hobby is relaxing, a good fitness activity, and keeps middle-aged women physically fit.
- Spiritual activities – Indulging in various types of spiritual activity consoles the mind and the soul.
- Exploring parks, libraries and museums – This provides you with new information about places you missed visiting for a time.
- Walking along the beach – This one provides a calming experience away from the hustle and bustle of the big city.
- Bird watching – Women likes this hobby because it only requires having a telescope, a pair of eyes, and appreciation of birds.
- Camping – Sleeping out in a tent with the chirping birds and the sound of crickets is another way to forget about your hectic schedules.
- Hiking – Tones leg muscles and brings hikers to appreciate nature more.
- Trail riding – Using a bike or a horse can be fun on the trails.
- Reading – Books offer so much knowledge that satisfies the brain.
- Watching TV – Your room or the living room can be a good place to follow on your favorite old time movies.
- Crossword puzzles/ Sudoku – Brain twisters like these keep the brain busy and helps build up strategic moves.
- Genealogy –Listing down all the names from your forefathers down to the newest member of the family is fun and rewarding.
- Journaling – Take down notes on what had transpired in your life. These bits and pieces can become your family’s legacy.
- Writing songs and children’s lullabies – This is a hobby that can make you earn as well as enjoy.
- Scrapbooking – Putting some little things together is a good measure to eliminate boredom.
- Listening to music – Some may listen to classical, standard or pop songs to remind them of their youth.
- Singing – Singing karaoke-style has provided a good diversion from the daily routine.
- Playing games on iPad – Who doesn’t own an iPad nowadays and who doesn’t like to play a game or two before cooking dinner?
- Home decorating/Gardening – Women love to take care of their garden and home and they treat these activities as mere hobbies.
- Playing the piano or guitar – Knowing how to play a musical instrument provides for an instant respite.
- Painting/Drawing – Those with artistic inclinations should be good with these art-related activities.
- Photography – Women who own a camera may not stop at clicking once they see a good subject.
- Sewing, Knitting, Crocheting and Counted Cross Stitch – These are women’s favorite pastimes since time immemorial; makes a person productive.
- Handicraft making – This activity works better when friends are with you.
- Making earrings, beaded and sea shell jewelry – Women who don’t like to stay inside their bedrooms are into these hobbies.
- Stained glass making – A little bit hard but with enough motivation, many women would love to try this.
- Flower arranging – This womanly activity is known to many as a skill and talent.
- Making cards for all occasions – Women who keep their friends and loved ones in mind never give up on this.
- Cake decorating – Women learning to decorate a cake are those who are into baking.
- Pottery – This involves skill and discipline. But many have indulged on pottery as a hobby.
- Paper craft – Also known as origami or paper folding, you can create many things using paper.
- Learning calligraphy & Chinese ink painting – Learning hobbies from other nations is a good diversion for artists.
- Dog training – Training your dog and other people’s pets can be very satisfying.
- Social Media/Facebook – Women tend to connect with friends and relatives more than men.
- On-line courses – Extra learning goes a long, long way most especially for stay at home moms.
- Learning new languages – A new language learn propels you to a more rewarding job.
Which ones are you highly interested in or have been doing for some time now?