Blackheads can affect one’s self-confidence. These can be removed through blackhead-removal creams and skin treatments. Such options can be quite expensive, which is why many remain frustrated about their blackheads. Luckily, there are homemade remedies that you can make to address those comedones on your face. This article will discuss the powerful effects of baking soda on your annoying blackheads.
Does it work?
Yes, baking soda really does help remove blackheads. You will see plenty of reviews online from happy individuals who have tried this alternative. It is important to understand the connection between blackheads and baking soda, so you can form the right expectations from this method.
Blackheads are bumps that leave the pores open, resulting in oxidation. This effect is what gives blackheads their black color. It is not the dirt that some people think. They form when a pore is clogged, and this clogging consist of dead skin cells and sebum. Sometimes, blackheads appear as yellow.
The explanation behind the blackhead-removing effect of baking soda is simple. Baking soda helps exfoliate your skin. You basically have to rub it gently against your face to unclog the pores. This is all thanks to the gritty texture of the powder.
In addition, baking soda helps balance your skin’s pH levels, meaning it does not only remove blackheads. Keep in mind that excessive use of baking soda to remove blackheads can dry out your skin. Another important advice is to use baking soda, and not baking powder, because they are two different things.
Removing Blackheads with Baking Soda
You now know the relationship between baking soda and blackheads. This time, you will be introduced to the many ways on how you can use baking soda to get rid of those pesky blackheads. You will be surprised at how simple the ingredients are to make the perfect exfoliant. Most, if not all, of them can even be found in your kitchen.
You can use baking soda as a facial wash. It is actually the easiest remedy to make for your blackheads. Using warm water will improve the baking soda’s effectiveness. You can splash or soak your face with warm water prior to the application. This will help open up your pores, and loosen all the gunk. Some people use facial steaming for this purpose by leaning over a pot of boiling water.
- Once your face is ready, simply follow these steps:
- Mix a teaspoon of water and baking soda
- Stir the mixture well to create a fine paste
- Apply the paste to the affected areas (usually the T-zone)
- Gently massage the area in circular motions to promote exfoliation
- Let the paste sit for about two minutes
- Wash it off with warm water, and then pamper by splash cold water to constrict the pores.
- Repeat this procedure once a week until you have achieved your preferred results
Salt, like the baking soda, has that gritty feel that works great for skin exfoliation. It helps soak the excess oil in your pores, too. Mixing these two substances will be handy for getting rid of blackheads, but may cause skin irritation when used too frequently. It is recommended that you use this method no more than once a week.
To start the process, you will have to:
- Use a washcloth to dampen your face. The washcloth should be soaked in warm water beforehand.
- Mix a tablespoon of salt and baking soda
- Sprinkle the mixture on the face
- Gently massage the mixture in circular movements for 10 minutes
- Rinse your face with cool water
- Repeat this process once a week until the blackheads are gone
Toothpaste does not only help keep your teeth clean and healthy, but it can now remove your blackheads. Mixing baking soda with toothpaste can provide an effective remedy against comedones. Some expects suggested finishing off by dabbing diluted apple cider vinegar to your face to tone the skin. Make sure to mix the water and apple cider vinegar in equal proportions.
To start treating your blackheads, you will have to:
- Soak a cotton wool or washcloth in warm water
- Place the washcloth or cotton wool over the affected areas
- Allow it to set on your face for a minute to open up the pores. You may re-soak the cloth as needed to keep it warm.
- Mix toothpaste and baking soda, and pour in two-parts of water
- Stir the mixture thoroughly until it creates a paste
- Rub the mixture on the areas using a toothbrush for about a minute
- Wipe or rinse your face with water
- Repeat the process everyday until the comedones are gone
Milk is said to have the ability to improve acne because of the healing power of its lactic acid. There are people who use honey and milk, but the best results are seen when you combine milk with baking soda. To remove your blackheads through this process, you will have to prepare full fat milk or yogurt, and baking soda. Follow these steps:
- Mix a tablespoon of milk and baking soda to create a fine paste
- Gently apply the mixture on your face and rub in circular motion
- Leave the paste on your face for about five minutes
- Rinse off with warm water and give your face a splash of cool water
- Repeat the process everyday for best results
Safety Tips to Remember
- While baking soda can effectively remove your blackheads, there are safety tips that you need to keep in mind:
- Do not apply baking soda on squeezed pimples or open wounds to prevent further irritation;
- Over-usage of baking soda can cause dryness or cracking of the skin, making the situation even worse;
- Rinse off immediately when you feel any allergic reaction, such as rash;
- Doing one of the methods above for a single time will not give the results you want, meaning you have to repeat the process until you see improvements;
- Consult our dermatologist if you have concerns.