Acne breakouts can destroy a person’s self-esteem. Pimples are a normal occurrence, but an acne breakout calls for immediate medical attention. A visit to your dermatologist will help address the problem, but this will cost you a lot of money. Commercial skincare products are often expensive, as well. Luckily, this article will show you an effective home remedy that you can easily make using baking soda. This ingredient is a well-known cleaning agent, but many are surprised that it can also help eliminate acne. Read on.
Why Baking Soda
Acne develops when the sebum or skin oil mixes with dead skin cells and bacteria trapped inside the pores. When they join together, the hair follicles are clogged and swelling occurs. The swelling of the follicles is what people commonly refer to as a pimple. The tissue surrounding the affected area usually becomes irritated, which is why you see redness around the acne. This is where the baking soda magic comes in.
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, is a popular cleaning agent used at home. This agent can also help improve your skin condition, like acne breakouts. It is commonly found in the kitchen, and it will not stop helping people with their dirt issues. Using it as a remedy for acne is definitely a worthy shot especially if you have been suffering from this condition for a long time.
How it Works
It is important to know how you can make the most out of this ingredient before jumping on to the recipes that target your acne problems. People with sensitive skin should first consult their dermatologist before using this cleaning agent as it may cause irritation. You can also test the baking soda on a small portion of your skin and wait for any reaction before deciding whether or not to apply the agent on the affected areas.
Furthermore, baking soda can dry out the skin, so it should not be used regularly. It is strongly recommended that you moisturize the skin after each treatment session. Some experts say that using baking soda on your skin frequently may trigger a more serious breakout. It is best to limit your baking soda treatment no more than two to three sessions a week.
Baking Soda For Acne
Below are various ways that you can use baking soda for Acne. Try them for yourself!
Baking Soda Bath (for Back and Chest)
Acne breakouts do not just happen on the face, but also on the back and chest. This recipe will not only get rid of existing acne on the areas but also prevent future breakouts. To use baking soda for your back and chest acne:
- Pour half a cup of baking soda into the tub with warm water. Stir the mixture using your hand.
- Relax in the tub for 20 minutes to soak your body.
- Use the shower to rinse your body and get rid of the mixture.
- Moisturize your skin using an oil-free moisturizer.
You can repeat this treatment two to three times a week until you have achieved your desired results.
Baking Soda and Olive Oil
Olive oil has anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties that can help heal acne scars while rejuvenating the skin and leaving it healthy-looking. Using it alongside baking soda will allow for exfoliation and help your skin heal faster and look clearer. To use this home remedy, you will have to follow these steps:
- Pour a tablespoon of olive oil and baking soda into a small bowl.
- Mix thoroughly until well-blended.
- Apply the mixture gently on the affected areas, and massage in circular motions.
- Rinse the areas using warm water to get rid of the mixture.
Use this treatment for up to three times a week until you see your acne spots and scars fade away for a clearer skin.
Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a popular remedy for acne because of its bacteria-fighting properties. When used with baking soda, the positive effect on your pimples increases. You can use both ingredients by following the instructions below:
- Put a teaspoon (or two) of baking soda into a small bowl.
- Add a small amount of hydrogen peroxide
- Mix the two ingredients until you create a paste
- Apply the paste onto the affected areas and gently scrub for five minutes
- Wash off the paste using clean water and pat the skin dry using a clean towel
- Apply moisturizer to keep the skin from drying up
- Repeat the treatment up to three times a week for best results
Baking Soda Spot Treatment
Baking soda can work as a stand-alone remedy for acne when mixed with water. You can choose not to add any other ingredients, except water as you need to create a paste out of them. To do this, you will have to:
- Mix water and baking soda to form a paste
- Make sure to use a gentle cleanser on your face, and pat it dry before applying the mixture to the affected areas
- Let it set for 20 minutes
- Wash it off with cool water
- Finish by applying moisturizer to prevent dryness
Baking Soda and Cleanser
Adding baking soda to your favorite cleanser will increase the latter’s effectiveness in getting rid of excess oil and acne marks. Here is how to do it:
- Place a generous amount of your regular cleanser onto your palm
- Mix it with half a teaspoon of baking soda
- Apply the mixture on your face in circular motions for 30 seconds
- Wash the mixture off using clean water and apply a moisturizer to prevent dryness
- Repeat the process three times a week
Baking Soda Mask
You can make a face mask using baking soda. It will not only get rid of your acne but will also exfoliate the skin to make it clearer and healthier. You can do this by:
- Mixing two tablespoons of baking soda with water of the same amount
- Stirring thoroughly until you create a fine paste
- Applying the paste gently on the face in circular motions
- Leaving it for 15 minutes before rinsing off with warm water
- Patting dry the face using towel and applying moisturizer (water-based)
- Repeat up to three times a week
Also Read: Best Eyeliner For Oily Lids